emolloy17

Oracle Discoverer - report definition comparison?

I have recently inherited a large number of Discoverer reports and I need to figure out the differences between them.  Most likely many reports are similar with minor hard coded parameter differences.  There are too many to manually review via the GUI.  Is there a way to export the definition of the report so they can be compared?  I do not have access to the reports/system yet, but I'm guessing Discoverer 10.1 or 11.1... used against an 11g db.  

I've been searching online and found a reference to saving the reports as a rex file and then comparing with an ascii comparison utility.  I'm unfamiliar and can't find any information on saving rex files (except with regards to music).  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Due to the limited timing on this project, I'd like to hit the ground running.  I tried searching for help on this website, MOSC and OracleFAQ, but no luck.  If you know of any other places to search, I'd appreciate that info too.

Thanks.

I have cross posted this question.  A commenter on another forum suggested I use the Discoverer workbook dump utility to get the EUL objects.  Any one have any success with this?  I'm waiting to gain access to try it out.  Thanks!

Thank you.  Yes, I am aware.  This question is in reference to an effort to move reports from Discoverer to OBIEE because of the deprecation.  

Due to the environment, we can't use any COTS program to migrate them, so I'm hoping to find a way to bundle similar reports when converting them so we can minimize effort (a very large number of reports).  I have a VERY short time to perform miracles... so I'm looking for suggestions.  Last time I worked with this group (Y2K), they had many reports that were duplicated and certain values were hardcoded.  So you could convert 5+ reports at once by either adding a runtime parameter or converting once and then duplicating for each hardcoded value.  This new GUI reporting environment means I don't have a textual version of the report to compare.  Thus, I'm looking for some way to get a text definition so I can gather stats on their similarities.  

Thanks.

I will open an SR as soon as I am able.  I have just switched contracts and I don't have a new Oracle Support Identifier yet.  :-(

update -- Apr 4, still no access  :-(

Edited by emolloy17
No need to post something new when I'm just letting the group know there has been no movement in my ability to follow up.

I still don't have access, but someone sent me the output from the dump utility and the actual SQL from the report. He said he was able to use the Discoverer desktop tool to pull up the SQL, and he cut and pasted the contents so I could compare the dump with the actual SQL.  It seems the workbook dump is just a wordy version of the SQL so it seems it would be easier to parse/compare the SQL.  Plus, I understand there is a way to quickly create some simple/rough reports in OBIEE using the SQL from the Discoverer reports... so this is my current focus.  I'm trying to get 500-1000 reports converted in 2-3 months so any automation is a good idea.  The need is to just get the users operational, then we'll focus on creating a data warehouse and replacing their reports with ones that take advantage of the new DW and OBIEE bells and whistles.

Do you know if there is a way to automate gathering the SQL for all the reports in Discoverer?  Manually pulling up the SQL for each of these reports will be very time consuming.  Is SQL for the reports stored in the database somewhere so I can just query it?

Thanks so much for your help.