Sam@11

Check Last Position at which value occurs through pl/sql

A+++500+read++

I want the occurence of last '+'  or in other words,total count of '+' before last value 'read' through PL/SQL at which value occurs.First value is 'A',Second value is '500' , third value is 'read'.Here last value is 'read' and position of '+' at which last value 'read' occurs is 4.I want this output 4 through query.Just want occurence of Highlighted '+' or in other words,total count of '+' before last value 'read'.Max position of '+' at which last value is there.Here output should be 4.

Second i want total number of values that occurs between '+'..Here three values namely A,500,read is there.I want count of values means how many values exist between '+'.Output should be 3.

Hello Sam,

Adding to Mr. Burleson, You can do it with the help of REGEXP_SUBSTR and REGEXP_COUNT as shown in the below query,

with t1 as (select 'A+++500+read++' col1 from dual)
select regexp_count(regexp_substr(col1,'[^read]+'),'\+') from t1;

Thanks,

Boobal Ganesan

Hi Sam,

6 hours ago, Sam@11 said:

Second i want total number of values that occurs between '+'..Here three values namely A,500,read is there.I want count of values means how many values exist between '+'.Output should be 3.

To your second question, we can quickly achieve by using REGEXP_COUNT as below,

select regexp_count(col1,'[[:alnum:]]+') from t1;

Here we are just checking for alpha numeric words.

Thanks,

Boobal Ganesan

15 minutes ago, boobalganesan said:

Hello Sam,

Adding to Mr. Burleson, You can do it with the help of REGEXP_SUBSTR and REGEXP_COUNT as shown in the below query,

select regexp_count(regexp_substr(col1,'[^read]+'),'\+') from t1;

Thanks,

Boobal Ganesan

@boobalganesan

Hello Boobal

Here 3rd value is 'read' bt its not like that we will always get 'read' value only..We can get different values.

Just like A++++++USA+

A+++++++London+++++Newyork

In every case,occurence of last '+' at which value occurs is needed.Here just for sample,i gave last value 'read' but last values can be different.

& in second case bettween two '+',even if .(dot) occurs just like A+++++.++,we have to consider .(dot) as value.Anythng apart from '+' will be considered as value..

My bad!

First Answer,

select regexp_count(substr(col1,1,regexp_instr(col1,'[^\+]+',1,regexp_count(col1,'[^\+]+'))-1),'\+') from t1;

Second Answer,

select regexp_count(col1,'[^\+]+') from t1;

Let me know how this goes for you.

Thanks

Boobal Ganesan

@boobalganesan

Hello Ganesan

Thanks for your solution.Both is working fine according to my need.

One more thing i wna ask,if for the same data

A+++500+read++

,i want to capture position for each value means at which '+' postion  value occurs or in other words count of '+' before each value,what should i do??

In this data,for 'A',position should be 0,for '500' position should be 3,for 'read,it should   be 4.Output should be 0,3,4.Or i  concatenate +||A+++500+read++ and then find count of '+' before each value and get that output as 1,4,5.What should be the query for this?

@boobalganesan

One more thing i wna ask,if for the same data

A+++500+read++

,i want to capture position for each value means at which '+' postion  value occurs or in other words count of '+' before each value,what should i do??

In this data,for 'A',position should be 0,for '500' position should be 3,for 'read,it should   be 4.Output should be 0,3,4.Or i  concatenate +||A+++500+read++ and then find count of '+' before each value and get that output as 1,4,5.What should be the query for this?

@Sam@11

Sorry for the delayed response :(

Please find the query below.

SELECT
    LISTAGG(
        regexp_instr(
            'A+++500+read++',
            regexp_substr(
                'A+++500+read++',
                '[^+]+',
                level
            )
        ),
        ','
    ) WITHIN GROUP(ORDER BY ROWNUM) col1
FROM
    dual
CONNECT BY
    level <= regexp_count(
        'A+++500+read++',
        '[^+]+'
    );

The result is, 

Oracle counts from 1, not 0.

Thank you,

Boobal Ganesan

@boobalganesan

Thanks boobal for you are response.

Bt here 1,5,9 i m getting.I want the position of each value means at which position of '+',value occurs or in other words count of '+' before each value.Here

data is 'A+++500+read++'...now i add one more '+' before 'A'..now data looks like '+A+++500+read++'.Now i want count of '+' before each value.Here 3 values namely 'A','500',read'

is there.Now i want output as 1,3,5.

A+++500+read++

Hi Sam,

If input is "+A+++500+read++", the output will be 1 for "A", 3 for "500" and 1 for "read" isnt it? So the result will be 1,3,1. 

How are you expecting a result of 1, 3, 5 ?

Thank you,

Boobal Ganesan

@boobalganesan

Hello boobal

Here we have to take count of '+' before each value...Before 'A',1 '+' is there,so it will give 1,before '500',total 4 '+' is there from sarting means including '+' before 'A' also,then total count of '+' before '500' will be 4 and total count of '+' before 'read' will be 5 which will include '+' before '500' also & '+' before 'A' also...means count of '+' before each value starting from the start.

Then output will be 1,3,5

11 minutes ago, Sam@11 said:

@boobalganesan

Hello boobal

Here we have to take count of '+' before each value...Before 'A',1 '+' is there,so it will give 1,before '500',total 4 '+' is there from sarting means including '+' before 'A' also,then total count of '+' before '500' will be 4 and total count of '+' before 'read' will be 5 which will include '+' before '500' also & '+' before 'A' also...means count of '+' before each value starting from the start.

Then output will be 1,3,5

I've highlighted the counts in your text. It says 1,4,5 and not 1,3,5.

Thanks,

Boobal Ganesan